Error using Export Runbook Folder in the SCORCH Administration IP

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Edited Aug 22, 2013 at 7:38 PM
I get the error below when running the Export Runbook Folder activity. The folder C:\Projects doesn't even exist on the management server. I notice the XML file in the OIP points to this path (C:\Projects\TFS...) but why is that? Am I missing some prerequisite?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Exception: NullReferenceException
Target site: ExportFile.LoadExportFromFolder

Stack trace:
at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.Integration.Administration.OIS_Export.ExportFile.LoadExportFromFolder(String folderPath, COMInterop scorchInterop) in c:\Projects\TFS\scorch\Orchestrator.Administration\Orchestrator.Administration\OIS_Export\ExportFile.cs:line 1512
at Orchestrator.Administration.IntegrationPack.ExportRunbookFolder.Execute(IActivityRequest request, IActivityResponse response) in c:\Projects\TFS\scorch\Orchestrator.Administration\Orchestrator.Administration.IntegrationPack\Activities\ExportRunbookFolder.cs:line 98
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Hey,

I am not sure if I have patched this error in the public version yet. The error occured if you did not export everything and then tried to groom a section. If you don't export everything grab one of the optional properties and say don't groom that section (ie if you don't export variables take the optional property for don't sanitize variables and set it to true). I will also make sure this patch is pushed out to the codeplex version this Friday when I have time to work on community projects! Thanks for your patience.

-Ryan
Aug 26, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Ryan!

Okay, your explanation makes sense. Once I fixed that it still failed, because I had a closing backslash on the path: \Policies\Folder1\ . I just wish the error reporting would tell me something useful, like “stop trying to sanitize data that you’re not exporting,” or “Get rid of that closing backslash.”

Other than that, I like the tool and it fills a much needed gap for automated Orchestrator backups. It’s working great now.

Can we expect export-all-runbooks (base node) functionality in the near future?

-Cody

Coordinator
Aug 26, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Hey Cody,

yes the error messages do leave a bit to be desires don't they :-) sadly most of the time I'm able to dedicate to this project I spend on new features or bug fixes and not so much on making error messages nice. If you want to contribute some messages that make sense for anything you can send an email with what text you'd find helpful. As far as exporting the base node that's probably something I could get out for you Friday :-)
Mar 5, 2015 at 8:19 PM
Hello,
I'm getting the same error but I'm not clear on your suggested fix.
I've tried all combinations but always have the same error for Export Runbook Folder.
I am successfully able to execute Get Subfolders.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Exception: NullReferenceException
Target site: ExportFile.LoadExportFromFolder

Stack trace:

at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.Integration.Administration.OIS_Export.ExportFile.LoadExportFromFolder(String folderPath, COMInterop scorchInterop)
in c:\Projects\TFS\scorch\Orchestrator.Administration\Orchestrator.Administration\OIS_Export\ExportFile.cs:line 1512
at Orchestrator.Administration.IntegrationPack.ExportRunbookFolder.Execute(IActivityRequest request, IActivityResponse response)
in c:\Projects\TFS\scorch\Orchestrator.Administration\Orchestrator.Administration.IntegrationPack\Activities\ExportRunbookFolder.cs:line 98
Mar 9, 2015 at 4:27 PM
After some more testing I found that my problem was including the root folder "Runbooks" in the Runbook Path.
Changing to a subfolder and subfolder paths under "Runbooks" appears to function as expected.